Disable speed limiter alarm?

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
kapasaki

Post by kapasaki »

Hello,

I have a Pulsar C13, 2017, and it has the speed limiter feature.

Otherwise it's great, but the limiter makes this extremely annoying alarm sound whenever the speed exceeds the set value by 3 km/h, or more. This happens when driving on downhill.

The question is, does any one know a way to disable this beeping? The local dealer here in Finland claims it's not possible, but I'm not sure they have even tried to look into the matter.

Alternatively, if the sound cannot be disabled, setting the alarm limit to 10-15 km/h, instead of 3, would also do the trick.

Perhaps there is/are a setting(s), accessible via the OBD2, using a suitable SW, or some other way?

Thanks,
Kari

kt53

Post by kt53 »

Not something I've ever felt the need to set to be honest. If it's anything like the other 'features' any changes to settings will be lost when you switch the engine off.
kapasaki

Post by kapasaki »

My previous car (BMW E82 2007) had a number of settings accessible via the OBD2, with the service SW... and those were persistent.

I'm still learning the ropes with Nissan, so any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Any hints or tips about service SW and HW for Pulsar would be fantastic, to read fault codes, and tinker with the settings.

BR,
Kari
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

I use the speed limiter extensively. There are a few areas around here which are covered with average speed camera checks so this feature helps ensure I don't go over the limit! I don't like cruise control as I see that as a minimum speed, where as speed limiter, well, it sets a maximum limit. The beeps are handy for me to ensure that when I go down hill in these areas, I get chance to drag the speed back down before ending up with a ticket!

As for the beeps, no, there are no user configurable options to disable the beep. Its probably hard coded within the software somewhere, but I dare say there will be a speaker somewhere that you could remove the cables for that would do it, however it might disable other beeps as well... not ideal really!

I you can get your hands on a suitable version of Nissan Consult and a suitable cable, it may open the doors for additional options...
kapasaki

Post by kapasaki »

Yeah, I can see the point of the alarm - it may be useful at certain situations, but nevertheless my preference would be to get rid of it.

I'd love to get my hands on such SW and HW, but where to get those...

However, does the C13 Pulsar actually use the Consult protocol? I tested an Android app called Nissan Data Scan (NDS), couldn't get it to work, emailed back and forth with the developer, and the end result was that he suspected that my Pulsar (1.2 DIG-T) has got a Renault engine, and therefore would not support the Consult protocol at all.

Could this be correct? Or is it for certain, that Consult should be there.

BR,
Kari
Deleted User 667

A well respected forum member on the Qashqai forum posted some information here:
https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2982

I dare say the links wont work any more, but the information is usefull non the less. The Qashqai and Pulsar share the same platforms so the version posted should be compatible.

Ebay is your friend for Nissan Consult! Chances are NDS is using the wrong version of the the protocol? I see there are different versions... NDSIII (3) might work, but given Duncho reports Consult 3 plus, it might be another variant. Don't forget about the notes in the app, it discusses the types of OBD reader chip version you need, but I guess you might have gone through this with the developer?

Just because its a Renault engine, does not mean Nissan tool their ECU and electronics (well, not all... hopefully!).
Swe

Post by Swe »

In the Sat Nav menu, you can disable speed warning
kapasaki

Post by kapasaki »

SplanK, thanks for the info! I will definitely keep on looking for such SW/HW. I'll check those links and see what is on offer in ebay, when I have a chance for it.

If I can find something that works, I'll write back here, in case others might be interested.

About NDS, yes, we did go through the OBD adapter issue with the developer. Mine seemed to support all the necessary commands.

Swe, I only found one setting for audible alarms, and that is currently set as Off. It doesn't have any effect on the speed limiter function. Did you mean some hidden menu I might not be aware of?
Swe

Post by Swe »

Maybe we are talking of 2 different warnings. If you mean the active throttle limiter that normally makes it impossible to exceed the speed that the driver has ordered. If there is a overspeed warning alarm, ex. downhill driving, i dont know how to disable it. What I ment was the GPS speed warning beep, which you can preset yourself, perfect i you miss a sign.
Deleted User 667

kapasaki wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:52 am About NDS, yes, we did go through the OBD adapter issue with the developer. Mine seemed to support all the necessary commands.
I downloaded NDSiii this morning and tried it on my car - it worked first time. My dongle is a cheapo Bluetooth one from ebay - a ELM327 clone, but the Android Torque app (which again, reads the car fine) reports that the adapter is version 1.5.

My car is a 1.6 DIG-T, but it should not matter really. It works with my wife's 1.2 DIG-S Micra (2012), worked with my 1.2 DIG-T Qashqai (2014), as well as other Nissan's I have had in the past.

So I would suggest:
1. Ensure you have NDSiii
2. Try the Torque application and see if that can read the car. If it can, you can then check the adapter settings within the software so see what version you have.

However, these applications will only let you read data, and clear error codes. They don't allow you to change any other parameter, or let you into any hidden service menus (if any). These will only be available by the appropriate Nissan Consult software.