Car 'Health Check'

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
kt53

Post by kt53 »

When my car was in for work to be done a couple of months ago they did a free 'Health Check' at the same time. The only item flagged was front pads which they said would need doing in a couple of thousand miles. I have done a couple of thousand miles since that date.
Today the car has been in for MOT and once again a 'Health Check' has been done and this time the pads are showing 60% worn. As the car has done 25k miles to get to that stage I'm assuming somebody must have mis-measured last time. At least I'm hoping it was a simple mistake.

stiyo

Post by stiyo »

Most common health check they do is mostly oil, liquids, lights and reading OBD. If they really do check the pads, they need to remove the wheel, otherwise it is only an estimate.

The brake pads has an "alarm" system to let you know it is time to change the pads. This alarm is just a bent metal which will touch the disc and makes screeching noise. At first the screeching noise will occur only at braking, if you ignore that, it'll be continuous.
The first thing you can check is the brake oil, if it's going on low, surely your pads are worn, mostly the front pads.

My first change of the pad was around 55k km, i do mix road. At that time the pads was still around 25% left.
gezt

Post by gezt »

They tell me that mine need changing everytime, they say 70 percent one week 50 percent 2 weeks later, when I questioned this I was told its expected wear for age and mileage, nothing is visibly checked, just another way of getting work off you.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

I did get a pleasant surprise when I picked the car up. They have replaced the battery to solve the starting problems I'd been experiencing. I didn't say anything about the fact that I've never had a problem starting the car. Car hits 3 years old in November so it's covered by warranty. The hand brake has also been adjusted so I don't have to pull it up to ear level to fully engage. Valeted inside and cleaned outside too. I think they are trying to retain me as a customer :-)