2DIN radio for Visia model

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
MarcinJ

Post by MarcinJ »

Finally, after about 2 weeks of tweaking, waiting for parts etc I finally got myself a working 2DIN Android radio with a rear view camera. Since my car is a Visia version with the stock non navi radio I had to fabricate the housing for a new one as well as getting a working adapter to retain the steering wheel controls. I'll post some pictures and info if anyone here is insterested in such a modification.

mrflab

Post by mrflab »

hi MarcinJ i would like to see some pictures of thw new radio
thanks
Pulsar 1.5 dci acenta Pearl White 02/2015 km 130000
syneman

Post by syneman »

I'd really be interested in the process as I would love to change mine one day. I've always been wanting to do this as mine has manual ac controls and no rear camera. Love to know what is needed and where to begin and end:)
MarcinJ

Post by MarcinJ »

All right,
I do not have a lot of pictures yet, but when I come back home I'll try to take some if needed.

Forget my English - sometimes I miss the correct technical terms.

2 things you need the most are :

Rotary cutting tool like dremel combined with a steady hand
A used (or new) radio cover (the whole front panel) from 2DIN version.

The trick is that manual AC controls are covered in a separate panel, while in automatic AC the panel is one whole with the upper part. With the dremel tool I simply cut the unnecessary bottom part where the automatic AC module is and replaced it with the cover from the manual AC. The manual AC cover is removable and fits without any issues.

The biggest problem is cutting as precise as possible to minimise the gap that will appear when you combine the manual ac cover with the rest of the radio panel.

As for the radio itself - I got a GMS 9210 dedicated for Nissans and a special adapter to keep the control from the steering wheel.
If you plan to keep the controls from the wheel than you do not need a dedicated Nissan radio since the adaptor comes with a standard ISO plugs. If you don't care about the controls, than you'll need a dedicated wiring loom for the radio so it fits to the original Nissan harness.
I suggest keeping the wheel controls as it allows you not only to operate the radio without touching it (mine is a full touch screen so hitting small parts of the screen while driving is difficult) but also allows you to set the clock without the need to go to the dealership.

A word of advice / warning - DISCONNECT the battery because if you remove the center radio panel you need to unplug the airbag control led. If you do it while the car battery is connected you'll get an airbag warning light and the need to plug in a computer to disable it.

The correct adaptor for the steering wheel is this one:
[url]https://www.ebay.pl/itm/CANbuz-SWC-5240-03-Steering-Control-for-ISO-Radio-Nissan-Pulsar-C13-Visia-14/401696750769
[/url]You need to search for Visia version.
And don't try buing chinese radio covers like these:
[url]https://www.dhgate.com/product/9-inch-android-7-1-car-multimedia-player/472496925.html[/url] because the vents in the middle don't fit - the controls are in a different place.

20190919_125756.jpg.8d882ea108e73c9cd701ed0aeb52d95f.jpg

syneman

Post by syneman »

Hey Marcin , this is great news! You have done exactly what I was thinking to do. I could never find the proper radio cover, so I was thinking of using a Dremel or proper cutting tool to modify the frames .I would definitely want to use the steering wheel controls too. Your radio job looks awesome. I wait for the rest of your pics . BTW - Are you from Poland ? Polish first name :) Thanks for your help :)
syneman

Post by syneman »

2F97985B-EF35-4431-BD12-0EC6750A5BDD.jpeg

Hi Marcin, I saw this radio kit on AliExpress, but noticed the air vents are inverted. I wonder how hard it would be to switch them.
MarcinJ

Post by MarcinJ »

As for the kit - look closely and you will notice, the middle part, under the hazard lights switch is the same size as the airbag / lock control display in original version. You'll need to replace it and somehow fit the controls insead of ventilation knobs (?). And it looks like the holes for ventilation look the same size as originals so cutting holes for the ventilation controling 'wheels' on the side will be necessary. I don't know if you could "rotate" the vents so the 'wheels' are between them, not outside, but then you will need to find a way to deal with the airbag / lock panel (where to put it??)

Marcin is Martin in English - yes, I'm from Poland :)
syneman

Post by syneman »

Yeah, too bad they don't make this unit for Euro models. Cool to see a local here..I'm in Warsaw, but not Polish, but my wife is:)
MarcinJ

Post by MarcinJ »

I see. In that case there is a chance in Allegro - maybe you'll find a used radio frame in good condition.
Let me know what photos do you need, because I didn't take any during the mod - never thought about taking notes while working :)
syneman

Post by syneman »

How did you hook up the back up camera? That's where I'm lost.