New tyres

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
todduncious

Post by todduncious »

Hello,
I am about to replace the front tyres on my 2016 dci Accenta. The current tyres have done 15 600 miles and are quite worn at the shoulders as well as low on tread. The fitted tyres are Continental Ecocontact 5 195 / 60 / 16 H XL. It has been a real bind trying to get a half decent replacement as this size is not that common. First question, do I need an XL tyre? Most fitters say yes as this is the original equipment. They are also surprised, (as am I), that a car the size of the Pulsar needs XL tyres. Secondly, I would prefer a premium tyre and have only found Continental, Goodyear Hankook, and Michelin locally. I know there are many others available but choice is limited in this part of the world. My question concerns the Michelin Cross Climate that a couple of fitters have suggested. I have read in a few articles, that having these on the front and standard tyres on the rear is not a good idea. I have also been told by a fitter that putting them on the rear and my, ( only slightly worn), Continentals from the rear to the front is problematic because of the TPMS.

This is all quite confusing..... I have been driving for over 40 years but the days of simply going and getting the best local deal on a tyre seem to have vanished :D

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Mark S.

Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

You do need to 'play by the rules' with tyres. IF Nissan say that the minimum is XYZ then you have to stick to it.

I have the problem with the Pulsar and tyres being extortionate due to the odd size (Nissan do seem like their odd sizes!!), and tried Nexen SU1 tyres. I had them fitted to my Pulsar as well and love them! Drove from Ingleton to M6 today through some fast country (and damp!) roads and felt really confident that they can handle just as well as the more expensive brands.
Finchburger

Post by Finchburger »

Never use different types of tyres like winter/summer/ all season on different axles. Very dangerous times!
I may get Conti5 again next time as had little issues in the snow.
Check with your insurance company before downgrading your tyres for the sake of a few quid. Or size up with new rubber to bigger wheels if you can afford it?
2014 1.2 Dig-t Tekna
Steelmate reverse sensors
LED full beams
todduncious

Post by todduncious »

Hello again,

Yes listening and reading to advice on this topic has made me decide I am best using the same again. I have ordered a pair of Continental Ecocontact5 195/60/16 H XL at a cost of £120 each ;)

The odd size is a financial pain in the butt though. I checked and found that if the car had come fitted with 205/55/16 tyres they would have been around £40 each cheaper :|

One last question. Should I put the new ones on front or rear? Is there a TPMS problem swapping tyres? Sorry that’s two questions :)

Regards & thanks,

MS
danielk

Post by danielk »

The only bother with yr tpms is the they will read wrong,,,for example if u changed the front drivers wheel to the back driver side
Everything will seem fine on the dash board,
Down the road if u get a flat on yr front wheel if will be reading the back wheel has the problom if u get me
danielk

Post by danielk »

I changed from factory 195/60s to 195/55/r16 westlake tyres last month,,still cant beleave the difference it made to the cars handling and over all feel of the car on the road,,,best thing ive ever done,,hated the boatie feeling the contientals gave the pulsar
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

danielk wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:44 pm The only bother with yr tpms is the they will read wrong,,,for example if u changed the front drivers wheel to the back driver side
Everything will seem fine on the dash board,
Down the road if u get a flat on yr front wheel if will be reading the back wheel has the problom if u get me
They sort themselves out after a few miles.
danielk

Post by danielk »

Put 5k on mine and they didnt change over,,tryed resettling them lots of times too :/
Got it pluged in to sort it in the end
todduncious

Post by todduncious »

Hello,
Got the ContiEco 5 fitted this morning. Decided to put them on the rear and then rears on front. The old ones had been wearing on the shoulders as well as the tread so I asked the guy to check the set up. Discovered they were ‘toed in’ at the front which would not have helped shoulder wear so had this adjusted.

We have gravel driveway round to the back of the house and manoevering back and forward to get the car in out involves a bit of lock changing while stopped or at crawling speed. This wouldn’t help tyre wear either. :)
v_maxim

Post by v_maxim »

Hmmm... your tyres got worn pretty fast. I would have expected it to last about 30000 miles... It depends a lot on where you roll them, of course.
My case: I chose Nokian wr a4 205/55 R16 for winter. Whatever 195/60 R16 is expensive indeed, compared with 205/55.
The differences:
- 205/55 is smaller in diameter with 8 milimeters; a very small difference.
- 205/55 is bigger in width with 10 milimeters, really not much
What does these means? (check here: https://www.wheel-size.com)
- 205/55 will give you a little bit more pull but a little bit lower speed (i.e. at the same rpm, 60mph with 195/60 will be 59.*mph (almost 60) with 205/55)
- after 2 years of winter nokian 205/55 and summer conti ecocontact 195/60, alternatively, I prefer nokian 205/55. I find them less "bouncy" and more maneuvrable - whether because of the size or the compound/make, I am not sure but I am biased toward the 205/55 for driving around the city.
- TPMS and tyre pressure. Well, whenever you change your tyres you should calibrate the TPMS system of your car: with cold tyres, on a flat, leveled surface, adjust your tyre pressure using a good pressure gauge. Drive your car and tell that silicon brain in your car what the tyres pressure is (that is, enter settings, calibrate, set on the computer the value you've just adjusted utilizing gauge). The "silicon brain" does not measure the tyre pressure directly - it just learns a value first (which should be a good value) and then it monitors the spins of the tyres, if it spins too fast - might be under-inflated and alerts you.
Mixing tyres? Only in pairs (per axels), and only the same size. I mean the same size, all of them.
Pulsar C13 Acenta 1.2 Dig-T Xtronic