Nissan Pulsar Needs A New Engine !!!!!!!

Problems using the forum - post here. Not Car Related.
Slioch

Post by Slioch »

Just a quick update on the issues that we have had regarding our Nissan Pulsar.

About 2 to 3 months ago we had the same issue of the Start Stop and System Fault coming up on the information panel along with the engine management light being on and in yellow.

We had the RAC attend as the car would barely go 5 mph. By the time he had arrived the fault had cleared itself so he was unsure as to what the issue was as the car had returned to normal mode. He carried out a diagnostic check on it and he came up with a misfire in no 4 cylinder. He cleared this though then carried out another diagnostic check and this time nothing came up. His advice was to monitor it and see how it went.

Last week the same issue arose again in exactly the same manner. Again the RAC were called out and this time the fault was visable to him. Another diagnostic check was carried out and he named the fault and said there was also a misfire in no 4 cylinder. The car was then recovered to Nissan in Inverness and the following day we received a phone call from them. This is where it gets interesting and hence the reason i'm moving to full capitals to grab everyone's attention.

NISSAN STATED THAT THE CAR REQUIRED A NEW ENGINE ...... YES THAT'S RIGHT A NEW ENGINE.

We made an appointment with the service manager Ian Grant at Dixon's of Inverness and to pick up our courtesy car whilst ours is being fixed.

Ian stated that it was an issue with premature wearing of the valves (or something very similar) and that was the reason it needed a new engine. We asked him if the new engine would be the same as the old one to which he replied that it was a modified engine as Nissan were aware of the issue regarding this engine. I asked him about the initial time we broke down and if that was the beginning of the engine deciding to pack in. He said yes and the Start Stop System Fault and engine management light coming on were in fact the indicators that the engine was beginning to fail.

Please ..... everyone who has this issue please contact Nissan and discuss this. We are lucky that our car is only a year and a half old and still under warranty so Nissan is picking up the bill but we have done research and it can be as much as £5000 for a new engine plus extra to cover the work.

We did also ask the service manager (Ian Grant) that if Nissan had made modifications to the engine then they obviously are aware of the problem and he confirmed that they were aware.

We left it at that but surely if Nissan are aware of the problem then why aren't they informing people who have purchased this vehicle?

If in doubt here is the contact details for Dixon's of Inverness

Service Manager
Ian Grant
Tel: 01463 701499 (think this is his direct number)
Email: ian.grant@dicksonsofinverness.co.uk

Dicksons of Inverness, 28/34 Carsegate Road, Telford Retail Park, Inverness, IV3 8EX, 01463 712800

27330445_2017175048309129_862419037_o.jpg

kt53

Post by kt53 »

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the symptoms on your car. Thankfully the Stop/Start issue I'm having is different to that. Simply a case that the revs drop right off when the engine restarts on the Stop/Start system and if I try to pull away before they've risen again the b***** thing stalls. I just switch the system off every time I get in the car. Pity there's no easy way to disable it completely.
Swe

Post by Swe »

Amazing!!
1.2 l petrol Engines??
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

As above, I would be interested to know which engine you have, and what registered year it is.

It is well known that the 1.2 DIG-T engine in its early days had BIG issues. I was one of those to suffer the same fate (not valve ware, but oil consumption) and had a replacment short block fitted to my old Qashqai. Plenty of info on this on the Qasqai forums, and some info on here.

IT could be that your valve ware could have been due to an previously undiagnosed oil loss issues, and that the ware was caused by oil starvation.

As to why Nissan dont simply recall the cars. Simple really, money, and the gamble that not all cars will suffer in their lifetime from the issue even if its a design fault. Its technically not a saftey issue either so wont trigger a mandatory recall through VOSA. Chances are though a note on the Nissan system will highlight any possible issues during a service for them to look at 'on the quiet'.
Slioch

Post by Slioch »

I can clarify after speaking to the service manager that it was misfiring in cylinder 4 and premature wear of the piston rings. Our Car is the Pulsar Acenta 1.2 DIG-T
They are going to replace the short block but from speaking to a mechanic who owns a large garage in Glasgow and a friend of ours he says we should insist on a whole new engine at least. Our other friend who works for Trading Standards say we also have the option under the Consumer Act 2015 of asking for a new replacement vehicle.
Deleted User 667

Sounds like the general 1.2 issue then..... premature/design fault.... or more than likley incorrect sized piston/rings for the block!

As for new engine, no need. Shortblock is being generious, they could have easily JUST replaced the piston rings which is what they are doing on most, which is still a valid fix in most cases, unless there is damage to the surface of the bore.

As for replacment car, not a chance sorry and your friend should know this! The manuf are entitled to offer a fix/repair to resolve the issue, which is what they are doing. Its only if the problem is unrepairable, or continualsy ongoing where the strings start to tighten.
cousinjack

Post by cousinjack »

Whilst my 16 plate Pulsar does not show any signs of engine problems (twelve thousand on the clock) and just about a year left to run on the warranty ,it does worry me that i could be driving a problem yet to happen! Given that production is about to end this summer i have decided to make the first tentative enquiries re a change.I was going to keep it untill November but i think by then the value will be well below £9k and the cost to change will be prohibitive.Had there not been the problems i would not have worried.
At present it is being serviced and appraised so will let you know the outcome. It's a black 1.2 n-connect.
Cousinjack AKA Geoff
Redruth Cornwall
Deleted User 667

As mentioned, the early cars were a problem. mostly 2014/2015 plate cars

The problem was identified and resolved shortly after so I would be reasonably comfortable in saying your16 plate car *should* be fine as I have not see anybody report a 16 or 17 year car having issues.

But either way, I understand your worries. I got shot of my Qashqai for the Pulsar 1.6 when I continued to have problems after the short block was fitted (oil leak through oil pressure sender, and air con decided it didn't like its gas any more!)
Deleted User 667

...and for reference, here is the 47 page thread on the QQ forums:
https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtop ... =32&t=2780