Warning Key ID Incorrect

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
And1Mn67

Post by And1Mn67 »

Advice needed please. I have a Nissan Pulsar Acenta DIG-T 2016 petrol, which I love. However, since I purchased it last year (not new), I am intermittently getting the following message "Warning Key ID Incorrect". I open the car with the key fob, but when I try start the car it brings this message up (I normally put the key next to the starter button). I have been back to my local dealer, too many times to mention, they have had it weeks at a time, however they still have not been able to resolve the issue. There is no diagnostic message traceable after the message appears, they have changed the key fob a dozen or more times, replaced batteries, but I am still no nearer getting the issue sorted. Any technical bods on here that know about this issue and can possibly point me in the right direction to get this sorted would be much appreciated. Thank you :D

Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

Hi,
In both my previous Qashqai and in my Pulsar, when I get this message its usually always because the battery is about to give up! The battery will last a while once you start getting this message (3 months ish) but eventually it starts complaining more and more and requires the key to be held over the stop/start button. I find that batteries tend to only last 9-12 months before the car starts to complain! Colder temps will not help either.

I usually drive with my keys in the door card pocket, however when the battery starts to give up, moving them to a more central location in the car improves the situation.

The only other time I have had some trouble is when I park at work, there is a large telephone/radio transmitter on the car park, or occasionally at home where both my Pulsar and Micra are affected at the same time (probably some sort of jammer or other radio interference).

First of all, I would change the battery yourself - its fairly simple process - with good known batteries (aim for Duracell or other known good brand with a good long best before date - I go for ones where the BBD is listed within the title or description on ebay.)

If that fails, try varying the location within the car, I have driven with mine in the boot before with good battery, but the receiver is in the middle of the car, I believe under the centre console so try locating them closer. I also found locking and unlocking the car sometimes sprung the fob back into action.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

SplanK, it seems both the fob and the battery have been changed multiple times so changing the battery again is unlikely to fix anything. The fault has to be with the sensor in the car, but as it's intermittent the dealership is going to have to be pushed hard to change units out.
And1Mn67

Post by And1Mn67 »

Thank you, yes the key fobs and batteries have been changed too many times to mention!! I have even now been given a "brand new" one straight from the manufacturer (instead of an old stock one) as they think its the "old" ones that have the problem, but the problem is still there. I think you are correct that I now need to push hard to get the dealership to change the sensor unit - I'll keep you posted.
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

I was more angling that if you are letting the dealer swap the batteries (which is how I read it), you have no idea how long they have been sat on the shelf, or quality.... that way if you DIY it, then you know.

I guess the fault can happen anywhere, rather than set locations
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Insanity "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". That seems to fit the actions of the dealership perfectly.