Aftermarket radio wiring: is there an accessory +12V I can use?

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
alexgreyhead

Post by alexgreyhead »

Hello folks, first post on here. I did a search of the forum but couldn't find anything which answers my question, which is...

I'm in the process of fitting an aftermarket head unit to Mrs Alex Greyhead's C13 Pulsar. It currently has the standard Nissan double-din touch screen radio.

I've picked up a Connects2 adaptor harness which is supposed to interpret the CANBUS "radio on" signal, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Is there another location in the car's fuse boards where I can find a circuit which is live when the radio should be on (I think this is when the car is unlocked and the key is in range?) - or should I just find and tap into a circuit which is +12V with the engine running?

Thanks very much in advance,

Alex

mango

Post by mango »

Hi Alex, I'm afraid I can't help with your issue but would you mind explaining how you went about removing the head unit? I may need to replace mine as it keeps resetting itself when playing back off a USB stick and I can't find a how-to guide anywhere.

thanks, Nic.
2016 Pulsar N-Tec 1.6 DIG-T
alexgreyhead

Post by alexgreyhead »

Hi Nic, easy enough to do - if you run your fingers along the top of the radio fascia - above the dash centre air vents - you should feel a square plastic trim cover - you can also see it by looking down onto the dash through the windscreen, just below the rear view mirror.

You need to pop this out of the dash using a thin flat plastic spudger or gently with a flat-blade screw driver.

Under that are two Philips screws which need to come out. Then, sitting in one of the front seats, gently pull the top of the fascia backwards (towards the rear seats) and the whole assembly should pop off.

Be careful to pull it forwards gently as there are two electrical connectors at the top and one at the bottom which need to be disconnected - use a small flat-blade screw driver to push in the locking tabs on the electrical plugs.

You might want to put a towel over the gear stock and around the dash edge while doing this to prevent any scratches.

Once the fascia is removed with the air vents and climate control module attached, you should see four screws - two either side - of your radio. Remove these, and then the radio can be lifted upwards (to clear the two locating dowels either side of the radio) and then towards you.

You will need to carefully disengage the locking tabs on the electrical connectors on the back of the radio. Be careful with the USB connector as it's fiddly - the locking tab broke off on the radio I removed, although the connection still works fine and I used a little fabric loom tape to hold the connection together when reinstalling.

Good luck!

Alex
gezt

Post by gezt »

I fitted a dash cam, turns on with ignition on, just doubled up on a fuse.
Search for dashcam on here and you will see best fuse for it.

v
alexgreyhead

Post by alexgreyhead »

gezt wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:39 pm I fitted a dash cam, turns on with ignition on, just doubled up on a fuse.
Search for dashcam on here and you will see best fuse for it.

v
Got it - lovely - thank you gezt :)

/Al
mango

Post by mango »

thanks for the quick response Alex. I had a trial run at removing it last night and like you broke the USB clip :oops: there must be a secret society that knows how to undo that one as no amount of squeezing, prying or pulling could budge it.
2016 Pulsar N-Tec 1.6 DIG-T
alexgreyhead

Post by alexgreyhead »

mango wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:10 pm thanks for the quick response Alex. I had a trial run at removing it last night and like you broke the USB clip :oops: there must be a secret society that knows how to undo that one as no amount of squeezing, prying or pulling could budge it.
Ahh I know, but not to worry. Do use something to hold it all together when refitting, though - if you don't have fabric loom tape, you could double one wire back on the other and zip-tie them together to hold tension on the plug, possibly? Just don't kink the wire too hard as over time the cable could break down and you'd end up with all kinds of weird and wonderful USB data errors... :(

/Al