How To Guide - LED Footwell Lights

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
Deleted User 470

Post by Deleted User 470 »

How To: LED Footwell Lights

Step 1: Get your equipment
To install led footwell lights in your Pulsar you will need the following:
Basic electrical toolkit comprising of wire cutters/strippers and wire crimpers
2 core electrical wire (2 core speaker wire is fine)
2 LED lights of your choice (I recommend these)
https://tinyurl.com/zmndhsu
2 Scotch lock connectors
8 Bullet connectors (4 male, 4 female) Or 4 3 Way Wago Connectors
Zip ties
Step 2: Removing interior parts and running your cables.
To gain access to your interior lighting wiring loom you must first remove this panel in the room of the car. This houses the light switches as well as your sunglasses holder.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 1 of 25_zps6he9njgu by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Open the sunglasses compartment and remove your sunglasses.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 2 of 25_zpsmax757ji by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Now pull down on the whole assembly. You need to pull fairly hard but remember there will be cables behind so be prepared to catch the lighting assembly.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 3 of 25_zps0eitjzmi by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr
ImageLED Footwell Lights 4 of 25_zpsjwkpbn4y by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Once you have removed this you need to find the following wiring loom. It should have a black, brown and yellow cable. Remove this connector from the holder by pressing down on the tab shown here and slide it out.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 5 of 25_zpsrg3of91q by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

You can now get your 2 core cable, use the scotch lock connectors and place one over the yellow wire and one over the brown wire. Slide your 2 core cable into the scotch lock connector and press firmly on the metal part. Once secured you can place the plastic cover over and tape up with electrical tape.
Since taking this photo I have covered mine with Tesa Tape.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 6 of 25_zpse8qfteub by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Feed some of your two core wire through the headliner so that it comes out the front above the windscreen.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 7 of 25_zpsceo2hjly by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Run the cable under the headliner until you get to the top left hand corner of the windscreen.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 8 of 25_zpsuvbadhuf by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Once you have got to this stage you will need to remove the A Pillar trim to allow you to pass the wire down the side of the dashboard to the footwell.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 10 of 25_zpsefxs9iqe by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

To remove the A Pillar Trim you must first remove the black weather stripping shown here.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 11 of 25_zpspknbksqh by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

To do this open the passenger side door and pull down on the weather stripping.
It should look like this:
ImageLED Footwell Lights 12 of 25_zpsyrrm5phk by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Now you need to remove the A pillar trim, to do this place your hand under the trim like I have shown here:
ImageLED Footwell Lights 13 of 25_zps8bhunzlr by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Pull toward the drivers side of the car and it should pop off like so:
ImageLED Footwell Lights 14 of 25_zpsrxssnkhd by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Whilst you can’t remove the panel completely I have found this gives plenty of room to pass a wire down.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 15 of 25_zpskzvzbie7 by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Run your cable down and feed about a foot worth of cable behind the dashboard.

We now need to remove the fuse box cover. Place a flathead screwdriver and leaver the fuse box cover off.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 16 of 25_zpszbdvilzj by HRichmondPhotography, on FlickrImageLED Footwell Lights 17 of 25_zpsfcy4yvqg by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Remove the cover and guide the wire down towards the footwell.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 18 of 25_zpsc25buulc by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

We now need to remove the footwell dashboard protector to do this you need to place your fingers under this section and pull towards the floor.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 19 of 25_zpskqhtfuct by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Once you have pulled the panel off it should look like this:
ImageLED Footwell Lights 20 of 25_zpsktxo1u3v by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

At this stage you will need to drill a 10mm hole in the plastic in order to install the LEDs you purchased.
Drill your holes and secure your LEDs, Make your connections (I used Wago Connectors to save crimping.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 21 of 25_zpsbsgip4vr by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

You will need to run a piece of cable over to the drivers footwell for the other LED light.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 22 of 25_zpsgydvlqnc by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Don’t reinstall these panels until you have tested your lights.

To remove the driver’s side footwell dashboard protector you need to remove these two clips, use a Philips head screwdriver and remove these by turning them.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 23 of 25_zpsddnzxece by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Once these are removed you will also need to remove this plastic nut
ImageLED Footwell Lights 24 of 25_zpsbocbzmde by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Remove the panel, drill your 10mm hole, install and secure your LED and make your connections.
ImageLED Footwell Lights 25 of 25_zpsc0nicyur by HRichmondPhotography, on Flickr

Now you can reinstall the wiring connector into the loom and test it out. Open your door and see if they light up!
If they don’t, then don’t panic.
Simply flip the Red and black wire on the led over and it should then light up.
Once you have tested that the lights work, reinstall the footwell dashboard protectors and reinstall any panel trims that you removed.

I have also made a PDF of these instructions Available here: https://tinyurl.com/hcnjzwu

I'm sorry its taken so long for me to make this but I have been busy with work and the weather hasn't been amazing either.
I intend to make some more how to guides soon.
What guides would you like to see? Let me know!
If you do use this guide take some pictures of your final results! I would love to see them!
Last edited by Deleted User 470 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrenfurecido

Post by mrenfurecido »

top!
Deleted User 470

mrenfurecido wrote:top!
Thanks
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Great tutorial, but I think I'll stick with dark footwells :-)
Deleted User 470

kt53 wrote:Great tutorial, but I think I'll stick with dark footwells :-)
It's honestly not as difficult as it looks! If you are local to Essex I will happily do the job for you.

That goes for anyone who isn't comfortable doing it.
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not in your area. I'm finding what other people do to their cars absolutely fascinating, but I'll leave mine 'vanilla' :-)
Deleted User 470

kt53 wrote:Thanks for the offer, but I'm not in your area. I'm finding what other people do to their cars absolutely fascinating, but I'll leave mine 'vanilla' :-)
No worries man
bhavinpatel95

Post by bhavinpatel95 »

Looking good! Will have to look into this in the summer! Might need a hand lol so I'll be in touch :D
Proud Owner of a 1.6 Dig-T N-Tec

Mods
✶ 30W High Beam LED Conversion
✶ Nismo Grille Badge
✶ ClimAir Wind Deflectors
✶ LED Boot Light Strips
✶ Limo Tints
✶ Pioneer TS-WX20LPA 8" Subwoofer
Deleted User 470

bhavinpatel95 wrote:Looking good! Will have to look into this in the summer! Might need a hand lol so I'll be in touch :D
No worries
You local to Essex?
bhavinpatel95

Post by bhavinpatel95 »

mrrichmond1995 wrote:
bhavinpatel95 wrote:Looking good! Will have to look into this in the summer! Might need a hand lol so I'll be in touch :D
No worries
You local to Essex?
No way near! I live in South London haha

Willing to make the trek for some help though! Much needed mod.

Struggling to keep up with exams and what not. Uni is a killer.
Proud Owner of a 1.6 Dig-T N-Tec

Mods
✶ 30W High Beam LED Conversion
✶ Nismo Grille Badge
✶ ClimAir Wind Deflectors
✶ LED Boot Light Strips
✶ Limo Tints
✶ Pioneer TS-WX20LPA 8" Subwoofer