Improving audio quality

Faults and Technical chat for the Nissan Pulsar
critor

Post by critor »

Hi all,

I have a '65 N-Tek Pulsar with a touchscreen infotainment system. The audio quality is quite dismal compared to, for example, my wife's' 65 CR-V.

I'd like to improve on the sound without breaking the bank. I also don't want to compromise the rear cam and other features. I've seen some aftermarket head units that are meant to alllow all the gubbins to continue working (e.g. Dasaita does Android head units suitable for the Pulsar/Qashqai but I've seen mixed reviews and I'm not keen on chancing it).

I would be extremely surprised if it does, but does anyone know if the stock head unit has an RCA output?

I'm guessing it doesn't, so I'd need to get a high level to low level converter so I can feed the signal to a couple of amps.

I'd be keen to hear what others have done, what worked, what wasn't so great, etc. or any suggestions would also be appreciated.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I'm wondering whether speakers might be the first thing to change?
critor

Post by critor »

Thanks for your suggestion Rob. I'm not very experienced in these things but I thought it was a general rule of thumb that even mediocre speakers will produce decent sound given a decent source, whereas high end speakers will sound terrible if driven by dismal amplification.

My thinking is that I'll have a go at replacing the amplification of the stock head unit furst and consider upgrading the speakers if I'm not satisfied with the result.

Would you suggest otherwise?