Oil Consumption

All Nissan Pulsar related discussions
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

*some* engines do burn oil by design, and some engines do burn a little bit of oil due to tolerances not being 100% perfect. This was one of the possibilities affecting some 1.2 DIG-T owners where poor quality control allowed smaller sized pistons to be installed in larger sized bores. This could explain why piston ring replacement is being done, or short blocks.

The software fix (to increase pressure in the manifold during low engine load) didn't resolve my issue with my engine and I managed to push for a short block replacement rather than a piston ring replacement.

I am not aware of the 1.5 DCI engine been affected by an issue like the 1.2 is, however nobody on the QQ forum has reported that they are loosing oil. I would mention it to the dealer and keep a eye on it.

Deleted User 470

Post by Deleted User 470 »

I have a 1.5DCI and have never had to top up the oil between oil changes. I would keep an eye on it and as SplanK said contact the dealer if you notice it getting worse.
Particulate Driver

Post by Particulate Driver »

Were they petrol engines though?
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Just checked the level on my 1.2 petrol and it's midway between top and bottom marks after 6k miles. Can anybody tell me how much oil it takes between marks to save me searching the manual?
Deleted User 667

Post by Deleted User 667 »

Between min and max is approx. 1L. So half way would be half!
kt53

Post by kt53 »

Thanks for that. I've got oil so I'll top up tomorrow.
bartw

Post by bartw »

Nissan dealership (who have been really helpful so far) monitoring the oil consumption of my 1.2 DIG-T (15 plate). First I went through 9 liters of oil in 12,000miles, now used 3.5liters in 2,000miles, was told to bring it back when I hit 3,100miles so that a report can be sent to Nissan. Service manager is of the opinion the block will be changed under warranty, if not I will be selling the car as I have lost all faith in Nissan, and customer service from the head office is non-existent.
2015 1.2 X-Tronic
Particulate Driver

No way should you be using that kind of oil, bartender. You must have something wrong with the engine.
Particulate Driver

Hah! I did mean to say bartw!
bartw

Post by bartw »

Just an update. Took the car back yesterday after the 3,100miles, topped up 1 litre (since last top-up 1,000miles ago). Now told to bring the car in for 3-5days for investigation....
2015 1.2 X-Tronic